Getting a good WiFi signal around your home can be a nightmare, especially in older building with thicker walls. This is where a product like the Huawei WS320 WiFi Repeater may come in handy.
The Huawei WS320 WiFi Repeater connects to your existing Wireless Router via WiFi and allows you to extend your existing Wireless Signal into areas of your home with a poor Wireless Signal.
If for example you have poor Wireless Signal in the bedroom you would put the Huawei WS320 WiFi Repeater in between that bedroom and your existing Wireless Router, for me this is my Apple Airport Express.
The build quality of the Huawei WS320 is great and looks and feels solid, it comes in white so should blend into most homes without any problems. Also included in the box is an Instruction Manual but in my opinion it is a very poorly translated Chinese version, the easiest thing to do is search YouTube for “Huawei WS320″ or read below for quick setup instructions.
After a few days of using the Huawei WS320 I have experienced no problems, the connection and speed has been perfect which was one of my main concerns with an entry level product at this price point. There is only one problem I have found and that is the Huawei WS320 does not support Apples AirPlay or AirPrint features, so if you already use these features with your Apple Devices this item is not for you. I did contact Huawei to see if they will be adding support for AirPlay and AirPrint in the form of a Firmware Update but have not had a reply yet.
So if you are looking to extend the coverage of your Wireless network the Huawei WS320 is a great way to do it on a budget I would highly recommend this product.
How to Setup the Huawei WS320 WiFi Repeater:
Firstly make sure you setup the Huawei WS320 close to your current computer to make it that little bit easier.
- Power on the Huawei WS320 and wait for the LED to change to a solid Yellow/Orange colour.
- Using your computer connect to the Wireless Network called “Repeater” no password is required.
- Load up your web browser and type the following into the address bar http://192.168.2.254 followed by enter.
- You should be presented with the Huawei WS320 Configuration Page, choose the Manual Setup option.
- There should now be a list of Wireless Connections near you, select your Wireless Connection followed by the Password and press the “Connect” button.
- The LED on the Huawei WS320 should now go green, you can now unplug and move to its final resting place.
Green LED but no Internet when Connected to the Huawei WS320?
There seem to be a few reports from people saying they cannot get any internet access when connected to the Huawei WS320 this is a fairly easy fix, all you need to do is change the IP Address of the Huawei WS320 and it should start working fine.
- Reset the Huawei WS320 by waiting for the LED to go green then holding down the reset button on the top of the unit for a few seconds.
- Load the Huawei WS320 Configuration Page (see instructions above) and click on Advanced in the top right hand corner.
- You will be presented with a Username and Password box, the default is “admin” for both.
- Select “LAN” from the left hand menu, you will now be presented with an option to change the IP Address of the Huawei WS320.
- My Apple Airport Express is using the IP Address: 192.168.1.65 so I needed to change the Huawei WS320′s IP Address to 192.168.1.99. The last two digits can be anything you want as long as another device on your network isn’t using the same digits.
- Connected the Huawei WS320 to your existing Router again using the instructions above, except you will be using the new IP address you just setup to get to the Huawei WS320 Configuration Page.
That is it your Huawei WS320 should be connected to the internet and ready to go.
If you have any questions or comments relating to this article or the Huawei WS320, please post them in the comments section below.